ALFA-FEAST TROPHY MIX
The Ideal Perennial Mix for Well-Drained Soils
Content: Alfalfa, Chicory
Planting Time: Zones 1 & 2: Spring or Fall, Zones 3 & 4: Fall
Seeding Rate: 3.5 lbs. 1/3 acre
Planting Depth: 1/8 - 1/4 inch
About Alfa-Feast Trophy Mix
Alfa-Feast Trophy Mix is the right choice on well-drained sites for those who want a highly attractive, very nutritious perennial mix both for hunting plots and to grow more and bigger bucks. Alfalfa is the “Queen” of the legumes for good reason - when it comes to preference, high protein, productivity and hardiness, this proven forage plant is unsurpassed… when planted in the right places. Unlike clovers, alfalfa doesn’t like “wet feet”. Hillsides, sandy, and well-drained soils are ideal for alfalfa. The alfalfa / chicory combination provides year-round nutrition.
- Perfect for hillsides, sandy soils & drier climates
- Year-round high-protein nutrition
- Great fall hunting plot.
- Produces 3 - 5 years.
1. Select a sunny site and thoroughly plow/disc until seedbed is clean, level, and firm.
2. Tecomate recommends soil testing and fertilizing and liming if needed. Generally, apply lime if pH is below 5.8 and fertilize with a phosphorous heavy fertilizer at 200-300 lbs per acre. This blend is pre-inoculated for improved nitrogen fixation.
3. Broadcast or grain drill seeds 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep in moist soil at a rate of 10 lbs per acre. When broadcasting, cover seeds by either lightly dragging or cultipacking. Avoid planting too deep. Excellent for spring frost seeding in colder climates.
4. Maintenance of perennials: To help avoid grass invasion, mow off the tops of the grasses in the spring/early summer or by using a grass-selective herbicide and; re-fertilize/lime each year (spring or fall) as indicated by soil tests. If plot grows too high, mow about 6 inches high to encourage regrowth and increase utilization. To refresh a thinning plot, overseed at half the normal rate.
Recommended planting times:
North - Spring: April 15-July 1 Fall: July 15-Sept 15
Mid America - Spring: April 1-June 15 Fall: Aug 15-Oct 15
South - Fall: Sept 1 - Nov 1
Coastal South - Fall: Sept 15-Nov 15